One of the ways that I stay on top of all my work and appointments is to set up a weekly meeting with myself. Â That’s right. Â I meet with myself, by myself.
Set aside an hour each week where I would go over my agenda for the upcoming week or month, including:
- projects I need to finish
- people I need to contact
- various meetings or events I need to attend
- I also set aside time to do my bookkeeping, marketing, etc
- I even allocate a certain number of hours per month for networking
Whether you are a freelancer or an artist or a solopreneur, you are, in the end, running a business. Â In which case, having a meeting with yourself ensures that your business is running smoothly.
Here are a few tips to having a meeting with yourself:
- make it the same time and day every week
- do not cancel on yourself (think about that phrase)
- make sure the meeting has an objective
- create an outline of things you need to accomplish by the end of the meeting
- make sure you turn off your mobile device, and get away from your email
- take your meeting notes and convert them into appointment and tasks immediately
- set up time for yourself for other business functions such as bookkeeping, marketing, and networking
Think of it this way: YOU are your most important client. Â Just as you would not ignore your best client, and just as you would want to make sure you are meeting the needs of your best client, you need to meet with yourself regularly to make sure your business needs are being met. Â Without you, there is not business. Â Take care of yourself so that you can better take care of your clients.