Volunteering and giving to charities are good for businesses and entrepreneurs, especially for their brand. It’s also good karma in general. Â Your community is the reason why your business exists. Â It just makes sense to give a little back to those who have made you a success.
Giving thanks isn’t just about saying the words. Â Actions speak louder than words.
Here are 12 ways businesses and entrepreneurs can give thanks this season:
- Dedicate one product or service where the proceeds will go directly towards a local charity from November 1 to December 31.
- Provide an in-kind donation to make over the website of a local charity to include volunteer calendars and the ability to take online donations.
- If you have employees, or are an employee, start a matching donation campaign (or compete with another firm) for a local charity.
- Lead a drive to donate business clothes (for men and women) to charities like DressForSuccess.org
- Award college scholarship for local students who are interested in your field.
- Volunteer time at a food bank (great for group morale).
- Donate gifts to ShareAGift.orgÂ ro provide gifts to underprivileged children (especially school supplies and backpacks)
- Lead a drive for diapers, baby formula, and baby clothes for a food bank or women’s safehouse shelter (often forgotten donation).
- Lead a drive for blanket and winter coats (don’t forget hats, scarves and gloves).
- Teach a holiday card-making workshop for children who have family members in the military, and provide all necessary tools (including postage).
- Throw a holiday potluck dinner for a local organization that works with the elderly (check dietary needs).
- Provide dog food and cat food to an animal shelter.
Getting your employees, clients, friends, family, and community involved is highly encouraged.Â And please try to keep it local.
If you have suggestions on how companies can give during the holidays, please feel free to share in the comments section.
Remember, giving is an act. Give thanks by doing.
Happy holidays everyone.